Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

What's in my vanity?

I have a little secret... even though I know a lot about what goes into skin care products, I still don't have it all figured out for myself. But here's the thing, our skin is always changing. So we have to understand that the product we absolutely adore today, may not work as well for us a year from now, or even next month. Some of this has to do with seasonal changes, but our age and hormones also affect our skin. The other thing: what works for me, may not work for you. Talk about confusing, right?! But, when you understand the ingredients and how they work, then you'll have a better chance of finding what does work for you. Although, it'll probably take some experimentation. So here's what I use... some of it I swear by, and others I'm not completely sold on.

  • Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser - I LOVE this stuff. It's so affordable and it works! It cleans off all of the makeup (although sometimes I have to go back over my eyes a second time), without leaving my skin feeling tight. This works for all skin types, except super dry or sensitive... in that case, you can use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (although, you'll need a seperate eye make-up remover... I'm still working on a favorite in that category).
  • Mary Kay Acne Treatment Gel - You guys, this stuff is soooo good! In fact, it's the only product I use that I can't get at the drugstore. But it's still super affordable. It has 5% benzoyl peroxide, but it does not irritate or dry your skin out.
  • Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum, Fragrance-Free - If this stuff had sunscreen, I would use it in place of my daily moisturizer. I love the way this feels on my skin! It provides all the moisture that my normal-to-oily skin needs, without feeling too heavy or greasy. But, it won't be enough for you if you have dry skin. Plus, I know I'm feeding my skin well with Olay - it has lots of antioxidants and other good-for-skin ingredients.
  • Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 30 - This isn't technically a "facial moisturizer", but it provides just enough moisture for me, especially in the summer. It dries to a slightly powdery finish, that keeps my oil at bay. Plus its a great primer for makeup. A lot of athletes also love the texture of this because it stays put - no running into your eyes when you sweat.
  • Olay Regenerist UV Defense Regenerating Lotion SPF15 - I'm not completely sold on this. It has excellent ingredients, but it usually a little to heavy for my slightly oily skin. If you don't have oily skin, you'll probably love it. Don't use it if you have sensitive skin, though - it contains a little bit of fragrance, which can cause irritation.
I'll keep you posted on other products I find. In the meantime, what are your favorite skin care products and why?

3 comments:

  1. cool stuff! i'll have to get the acne control products for my girls. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using the Neutrogena oil free eye makeup remover you recommended and love it! Works great and no irritation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, guys! Trish, I actually haven't tried the makeup remover, but I'll have to give it a try. Let me know what you think of the acne products, Liz.

    ReplyDelete