Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Why do we buy into the hype?



I just read the latest posting from Paula Begoun's blog, beautybunch.com. I could go on and on about Paula's wisdom, and I probably will in a later post. Needless to say, this post really hit home for me.

The various players in the beauty industry are truly marketing geniuses because they have us buying into (literally) all of their over-hyped promises and false premises. But, who can blame them, really, when we will continue to pay big bucks on our never-ending journey to the fountain of youth, beauty in a bottle and other such hype?

Even my editor, in my day job, often fights me on my claims that these lies just aren't true, and I have loads of research (that I document) to back me up. The fact of the matter is that more money does not equal a better product, eye creams are not necessary, nothing in the beauty aisle can get rid of pesky dark circles and a higher SPF does not always mean more protection ... and many, many more. I promise to write more about each of these topics as this blog progresses.

In the meantime, I challenge you to be a detective and compare ingredient labels. Even if you if you don't understand what each of those super long scientific names means, you'll be able to tell that the lists are virtually the same, regardless of price. Let me know, if there is a particular product that you love and swear by!

1 comment:

  1. i have a friend that works in the skin care industry and she will be the first to tel you that you are correct, more expensive DOES NOT mean better

    ReplyDelete